The Q&A Archives: Blueberries Question

Question: I understand that blueberries need a really acidic soil - pH of around 4.0. I also understand that elemental sulfur helps made soil more acidic. Is now a good or OK time to give my blueberries some sulfur or would another time of the year be better? Thanks in advance for your reply

Answer: Sulfur should only be added to the soil prior to planting blueberries and the amount you incorporate into the soil will depend upon the current soil pH and how much lower you want to make the pH. If your blueberries are already planted, don't use sulfur but instead mulch around each plant with peat moss (it will acidify the soil as water percolates through it) and feed your blueberries with an acidified fertilizer such as Miracid. Best wishes with your blueberries!