The Q&A Archives: fertilizers

Question: Which general fertilizer would be the best to buy for feeding plants and trees?

Answer: Usually a balanced fertilizer is a good all purpose fertilizer for the landscape. Look for a 10-10-10 or a 20-20-20. If you have flowering shrubs and you want to promote flowering, you can use a fertilizer lower in nitrogen (the element that encourages green growth) and higher in phosphorous and potassium (which promote flowering and root growth). A fertilizer to encourage flowering is sometimes called a bloom booster and will have a 10-20-20 or 5-10-10 formula, or something similar. Be sure to apply in amounts as recommended on the label (too much is worse than not enough!) Best wishes with your garden!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "sunset on summer"