The Q&A Archives: Fertilizing

Question: I would like to know when to apply what kind of lawn fertilizers, such as what kind of fertilizers should be applied in spring, summer, etc. I live in Springfield, MO

Answer: The easiest feeding schedule is to choose the fertilizer packages that go on sale in the spring, summer and fall. These are formulated for immediate application and contain all the essential nutrients, at the right times of the year. Or, you can choose your own spring, summer and fall fertilizers. The spring feeding should contain the most nitrogen (the first number on the package). Typically there is a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK, such as a 21-7-14. Choose the package with the highest first number. A summer application should contain less nitrogen and more phosphorous and potassium (such as a 7-14-14). The fall application should have even less nitrogen and more phosphorous and potassium - to encourage less top growth and more stem and root grow. Hope this clarifies things for you!