The Q&A Archives: how well will they grow in zone 7

Question: I want to plant gladiolus bulbs and I want to know well they will grow in this zone 7. I live in Durham, NC. so tell me what you think and which flower does the best here as a perennial. I want to build a flower garden that I can leave in all year after year.

Answer: Standard garden variety gladiolus corms can be planted November through March in your gardening region. If planted every two weeks, you'll have a succession of blooms. Glads normally bloom 65-100 days after planting. Glad corms should be planted about four times as deep as they are wide, and spaced 4"-6" apart. The soil should be amended with organic matter prior to planting, to provide nutrients and to help the soil retain just the right amount of moisture. A sunny site and weekly watering will produce healthy foliage and flowering stalks.