The Q&A Archives: Shrub for front of house

Question: I am a first time gardner and I want to plant

Answer: Korean Boxwood is an evergreen and is hardy enough to grow in your gardening zone. It will grow in full sun to partial shade. Some plants are smaller than others so the variety you choose should fit your planting area. Consider

Buxus microphylla 'wintergreen' grows 4' by 4'; 'Suffruiticosa' - Compact, slow growing, 3-4 feet tall. 'Glencoe' (Chicagoland Green)- Maintains good color in winter, 2-3 feet tall. 'Green Gem' - Maintains good color in winter, mounded habit; 2 feet tall. 'Green Mountain' -Foliage turns bronze in winter, habit is more upright than other hybrids. 'Green Mound' - Mounded habit, 3 feet tall. 'Green Velvet' - Rounded habit, 4 feet tall.

You might also consider growing yew, arborvitae, or juniper and keeping them sheared for a formal look.

Best wishes with your landscape!