The Q&A Archives: What Is a Cover Crop?

Question: Can you explain what a cover crop is or what it does? John Krupa

Answer: I'm sorry I didn't explain cover crops to you. A cover crop is a fast maturing and growing crop that is grown to be tilled back into the ground without harvesting. The purpose is to add organic matter and nutirnets to the soil. You'd dedicate an area of your garden for cover cropping and plant seed (such as buckwheat) either in spring or summer for a summer cover crop or many gardeners plant a fall or winter cover crop in fall after their main crops are finished producing. These could be annual ryegrass or winter wheat for example. The key is to let them grow and before they flower and go to seed, till the crop in to add the organic matter. local garden centers should have seed available to purchase as cover crops..