The Q&A Archives: Blueberries in Georgia

Question: Hi! I am interested in growing blueberrie. I've heard that they need acidic soil. I am wondering what type of soil I should get for them and if they need any special plant food to keep them from dying. Thanks for your help! Stephanie

Answer: In Georgia you can grow two basic varieties ? the rabbiteye and the southern highbush blueberries. The rabbiteye, the easier and more profitable variety to grow, doesn?t begin producing until Memorial Day, at the end of May. The southern highbush begins producing as early as April 15. Either will need soil amended with pine bark and/or peat moss and fed with an acidified fertilizer such as Miracid. Plant them in a sunny or mostly sunny area and give them 2-3 years before expecting a good crop. Enjoy!