The Q&A Archives: Southern Magnolia

Question: Hello,
I live in zone 8. It is the Texas Hill Country. I planted a southern magnolia last summer and it has survived up to this point with the exception of something chewing many of the leaves. I was under the impression that the leathery texture of magnolias made them very much pest resistant. We don't have a deer problem and I have never seen any insects on the tree. Any idea?

Answer: Typically southern magnolias are not bother by too many pests. The looper caterpillar is an exception and if you are finding damage, inspect the plant carefully to see if you can find these pests. If so, Bt (bacillus thuringensis) is effective against them. It is sold under many brand names, including Dipel. Best wishes with your trees!