The Q&A Archives: Italian Cypress

Question: I have 6 large Italian Cypresses in Lewes De. We are right on the edge of the growing zone. I bought them 5 years ago and they are doing well. When do I fertilize them and how should I do it.

Answer: If you have never fertilized your cypresses and they are 5 years old, they must be getting adequate nutrients from the surrounding lawn or plants. It isn't necessary to feed them unless their growth is poor or the foliage is off-color. If this is the case, use a fertilizer formulated for evergreen trees (such as an 8-8-8) and lightly broadcast the fertilizer beneath the cypresses in the amounts as recommended on the label (how much you apply depends upon the size and age of your plants). If your cypresses look healthy and are growing well, no fertilizer is required. Best wishes with your landscape!