The Q&A Archives: Rose Bush Starts

Question: I have a dozen rose bush starts which have started to grow leaves and new stalks these are from an old family rose garden. I live in the Topeka Ks area. I would like to know when I show plant them, or should I keep them indoors in containers until next spring? How do I care for them and what is the best soil etc etc etc

Answer: If the cuttings have developed roots, pot them up in containers with regular potting soil and when the weather warms, set them outdoors in a place protected from direct sunshine. After they have been outdoors for a few weeks, gradually move them into more and more sunshine (a few hours a day, increasing the number of hours in sunshine). In a week or 10 days they should be in full sunshine all day long. You can leave the plants in their containers until this fall and then plant them in the garden in a sunny site. After the first frost, pile up some compost or straw or fallen leaves over the tops of the plants to protect them from winter weather. I make cylinders out of hardware cloth or chicken wire, set a cylinder over each plant and then dump in the organic matter to help insulate my plants. Remove the cylinders in spring and brush away the organic matter. Your roses should thrive. Best wishes with them!