The Q&A Archives: Sod or Seed?

Question: I need to replace the small area of grass I have in my courtyard. After two years (with a dog urinating on it!) it looks horrible. I don't know if I should re-sod, re-seed or convert to small stones and stop trying to keep grass? I appreciate any advice. The grassy area is about 20-30 square feet.

Answer: Grass doesn't really hold up well under dog traffic so unless you can commit to reseeding or resodding every few years, you may want to simply put in a hardscape. Use medium sized stones (not pea gravel as these can be picked up by your pet and transported into the house or throughout the yard) or use bark nuggets. If you would rather have lawn there, sod will be the most instant replacement and because it it well rooted will probably hold up better under foot traffic than freshly seeded lawn. Hope this information helps!