The Q&A Archives: Late bulb planting

Question: I have some spring bulbs that never were planted including tulips, hicyntia (sp?), and daffodils. Now they are starting to grow green out from the bulbs. Can I still plant these? I have some indoor space on a porch or garden space.

Answer: It is much too late to plant spring flowering bulbs. Even though your bulbs are beginning to sprout tops, they have no roots and therefore no way to provide moisture and nutrients to the bulbs themselves. You can try planting them and perhaps they will be able to develop roots and restore some of the energy they used to produce the sprouts, but it isn't likely that they will ever perform well for you. I would toss them and purchase (and plant) fresh new bulbs in the fall.