The Q&A Archives: Soil For Containers

Question: I am going to grow my vegetables in containers. What soil mix should I use? Anything special I should do to enhance the drainage?

Answer: Plants growing in containers really have to rely on you to provide all the moisture and nutrients they need. Start by making sure your containers have two or three good sized drainage holes in the bottom.Tthen fill the containers with commercial potting mix, not soil from the garden. Potting mixes are primarily compost, peat moss, and perlite, and they retain moisture without staying soggy wet. You can make your own potting mix, and it might save you money if you have an extensive collection of containers to fill. Mix together 16 quarts of Sphagnum peat moss, 16 quarts of vermiculite, 7 ounces of bone meal, 3 1/2 ounces of dried blood meal, and 3 1/2 ounces of ground limestone.