The Q&A Archives: hardy shrubs and bushes

Question: My house faces north. I live in medina county, ohio. I have a hard time with Rhodes in front. They start out well and soon the leaves get a burnt look to edges , branches die off. I feed with miracal gro for acid lovers. How do I trim for shape. Keep them from looking woody

Answer: Wind burn, overly wet or dry soils and even excess fertilizer can all be causes for browning edges on rhododendrons. Since rhodies bloom in the spring you will want to wait until June to prune your plants back. Pruning encourages lots of new leaves and the development of flower buds for the following year's floral display. Prune immediately after flowering has finished and you will remove the unsightly leaves, make the shrub more full, and promote blooming. Hope this helps!