The Q&A Archives: St. Augustine Grass

Question: My yard is St. Augustine but my pasture is Bahia and our St. Augustine is full of weeds and bare spots. I planted plugs last summer but they are not taking... Any suggestions before my husband rips out the St. Aug and let's the Bahia take over?

Answer: Whether you need to start over or not is hard to say. If most of the weeds are perennials it would be best to spray them and then restart with a newly sodded area. I suggest you take samples from the various weeds to your County Extension Office for them to identify. Then a decision can be made as to the best product(s) to use for the weeds you have, when to apply them, etc. The best weed control is a dense, healthy turf. Do all you can to develop a good, dense turf (regular mowing, deep infrequent watering and moderate fertilizing) and over a year or two you will eliminate the vast majority of weeds in your turf. Thanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!