The Q&A Archives: Growing Frangipani

Question: I live in south florida and my little frangi pani is asleep. When will it start growing again and when should it be fertilized?

Answer: Frangipani is slow to wake up in the spring but you should begin to see new leaves within a few weeks. Once you do, you can feed with a water soluable fertilizer such as Miracle Gro (20-20-20). Frangipani are hardy and forgiving plants which seem to thrive on neglect. However, given regular watering and a fertilizer high in nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous, during the flowering season, they will reward you with more plentiful flowers which are bigger and stronger in color. Six hours direct sunlight daily is required for optimum / maximum flowering. Frangipanis are very drought, salt and fire tolerant plants. They respond well to pruning and grow well in the ground or in large pots. Enjoy your beautiful plant!