The Q&A Archives: Removing Grass

Question: I have a couple of strips of lawn/grass that I want to remove. What is the quickest way to remove the grass. I also have some trees planted nearby, so I don't want to use something that will kill of the trees as well.

Answer: You can remove it by stripping it off with a rented sod cutter machine. You can dig it out by hand. You could also smother it by covering with a thick layer of newspaper topped with organic mulch for several months. Before planting anything there you will want to loosen the soil down about a foot and probably will need to add a generous amount of organic matter such as compost. (If you used the paper and mulch, you can turn these and the dead grass right under into the soil without removing anything.)