The Q&A Archives: Lavender Variety ID

Question: I purchased a lavender plant at a San Diego Home Depot by Vigoro. The tag only states lavender. It has small purple flowers on the stem, with lacy leaves. The flower stake says UQT004 on it. Could you tell me what variety of lavender I have purchased? Thanks!

Answer: I think the plant is Munstead. Munstead is a great lavender variety to attract butterflies, be used as a dried flower, or best used for culinary purposes. Lavender flowers are full of rich sweet flavor and are especially nice when used with sweets.

One of the most popular lavenders available, this variety has medium purple flower spikes on and 18-24 inch mounded plant. Two-inch long narrow leaves have a pleasing gray-green color. Munstead lavender is compact and early flowering.