The Q&A Archives: Need help with my lawn

Question: We had some work done on the house and the contractors destroyed the lawn, although I think it can be repaired. I have many bare spots. Can I use seed and turf builder? I would like a healthy lawn as quick as possible. The front is shady/sun and the back is almost always sunny. Will raking kill any healthy grass? Please give me the quickest and easiest remedy...I knwo everyone says that. thank you

Answer: Actually, I think you are on the right track. Raking the bare areas and reseeding will green things up quickly. If the soil has been compacted because of heavy foot traffic by the contractors, you may also want to rent a core aerator and aerate the lawn. After aerating leave the plugs on the lawn and spread a thin layer of sand over the area, then water it well and reseed. The sand will work its way down into the soil to help loosen it, as will the soil from the plugs. Either way your lawn should be green and attractive in 4-6 weeks. Best wishes with your lawn!