The Q&A Archives: Dogwood Did Not Flower

Question: This is the second spring for my white dogwood. Last year, it bloomed beautifully. This year, it is leafing now, but no white flowers. Neighboring dogwoods are all in bloom. Why isn't mine?

Answer: Is there a chance your dogwood buds were nipped by a frost? This is possible even if your neighbor's dogwoods are flowering. If your's is located in an area in which frost settles, or, is more exposed to frigid winds than your neighbor's trees, this could be the problem. Also consider, if this is the second season for your dogwood, (I am assuming you planted last spring) your dogwood may need some time to establish itself before blooming again. The blooms last year were there because it had established itself in the nursery it came from, or even the container, enough to bloom that once. Transplanting any plant life is traumatic, and in almost every case will set a plant back a bit. If your dogwood is in otherwise good condition (healthy, no pests, no diseases) and it sounds like it is, you should have bloom next season. To make your dogwood feel "extra special" try applying some organic matter (compost, composted cow manure, leaf mould, etc.) about 1-2" thick, around the base of the tree all the way out to the drip line - "mulch style". You may also want to fertilize the dogwood with a 5-10-10 (carefully following application instructions) this spring. Good Luck!