The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Daylilies

Question: In October of last year I had to unexpectedly dig up my many Stella D'Oro daylillies. I had to quickly find places for them since the ground would be freezing any day. I found places throughout the yard. My question is when should I dig them up and transplant them? They are starting to come through the soil now?
Thank you,
Kim Nugent

Answer: Daylilies are quite tolerant of adverse conditions so I'd go ahead and plant them now rather than waiting until next spring. With any luck the roots haven't completely dried out and they'll rehydrate as soon as you get them back into the garden. By planting now, you'll give your plants an opportunity to re-establish and they'll be ready to grow in the spring as soon as the soil warms. Best wishes with your daylilies - and with your new garage!