The Q&A Archives: Help Voles!!!!

Question: Voles have taken over our yard.We tried bait,gum,& vibrating stakes all worked initially but then failed. Last fall we started trapping.Cought 35 before the snow came.Now that the snow melted we were shocked to see mounds of dirt where, the voles must have surfaced under the snow. All my astilbe's and hostas had their roots eaten and are not growing back.What can I plant that they dont eat?

Answer: I wish there were an easy solution, but trapping is about the only thing a homeower can do. There are toxic fumigants and baits but they are only available to certified pesticide applicators. You can contact Cornell University Cooperative Extension, 3059 Sound Ave., Riverhead, NY 11901, (631) 727-3595 to see if they have any other suggestions. Or, you can read their publication on Vole control for more ideas: