The Q&A Archives: The best way to replant tulip bulbs from a potted arrangement

Question: I bought several pots of tulips in full bloom in mid Feb. Blooms are gone and stems have dried on their own. I set aside to attempt replanting. We had 2 days of heavy rain, and I took them out of the pot the next day. While very wet, they still look good. I was going to hang them in a nylon stocking in our dark pump shed because it's the coolest place outside. Do I need to dry them out 1st?

Answer: Allow them to air dry before packing them up for storage. Tulips need a pronouced chilling period before they will bloom again so store them in a cool, dry, dark location until September and then place them in your refrigerator until December. Plant them outdoors in December and they should bloom right on time for you. Enjoy!