The Q&A Archives: Nothing will grow lots of shade and water

Question: I live in Northeastern Ohio so sunlight is not something we see often. Also I have large trees around my home so it is shaded about 95% of the day. I love the tropical look for flowers and shrubs but cannot seem to get them to grow. Is there anything that I can plant the would do well in a lot of shade and semiwet soil. I am looking for perennials, annuals,shrubs to landscape the front of my home.

Answer: I found an excellent publication from Ohio State University that addresses exactly what you describe in terms of dealing with shade and moist soils. It has dozens and dozens of plant recommendations. Here's the web address:

You can download the publication and take the plants lists to the nursery to find just the right plants for your landscape. Enjoy!