The Q&A Archives: Care for Tropicana plants

Question: Hi, we purchased 2 tropicana plants last year from home depot and planted them in large pots (per recommendation on the tag). they grew great last I trimmed them down in the fall after they died off, and now they are starting to come back. However they seem very sparse, and are growing back very slowly despite lots of water. Is it still early in the season to expect them to grow? Thanks

Answer: I think it is a little early in the year to expect thick, lush growth. Tropicana cannas thrive in full sun and warm temperatures. They prefer heavy watering when they are in bloom, but not so much when they are not. So water when the top half inch of soil dries out but don't keep the soil too wet just yet. A little patience should pay off. Enjoy your beautiful plants!