The Q&A Archives: Asian Pear Tree

Question: Last year since my Asian pear matured, after two years being barren, and having fertilized spring, summer and fall, with 12-4-8 food, it dropped all of its mature fruit before I could harvest.

Please advise how I can avoid this, this year. I detected no insects, or rot on the fruit when it fell.

Thank you for your expert
Karl Kondrad

Answer: Although wind and rain can cause mature fruit to drop rapidly, Asian pears naturally drop their fruit when they are ripe. I suspect they ripened before you expected them to ripen. Start checking the fruit in late July for ripeness. They can be picked when they are slightly underripe and will ripen after harvesting. By mid-August they will begin to drop from the tree. Best wishes with your Asian pear tree!