The Q&A Archives: Problem with an Italian Cypress

Question: I live in Florda and have an Italian Cypress that is turning brown from the bottom and is creeping toward the top. I have tried fungicide and sprays for pests, what else can I do to stop this process???

Answer: Italian cypresses are susceptible to spider mites and their feeding can cause browning of the foliage. The best way to deter these pests is to hose the plant off periodically with water from the hose. Since spider mites like dry, dusty places, they will leave if you hose off the dust. Aside from spider mites, Italian cypresses are sensitive to soil moisture. Soils that are too wet or too dry can also cause browning. At this point I can only suggest you water deeply as you usually do and a day or two later dig down near the roots to make sure the soil is moist 2" below the surface. If not, you are not watering deeply enough. If it is moist, you won't need to water for a few more days. Best wishes with your Italian cypresses!