The Q&A Archives: Herb Garden

Question: I'm thinking about starting an herb garden in a window box and I live in an apt in a suburb of boston. When should I start growing the seeds? What should I grow? Also, I'd like to grow beef steak tomotoes on our deck; should I try to grow them from seeds or an already sprouted plant? Thanks so much!!!!!!

Answer: Some herbs adapt better than others to growing indoors; basil, thyme, chives, and lemon verbena tend to do well as houseplants. Some herbs, such as rosemary and sage, will grow fine indoors for a while, but will tend to get leggy and tired after a while. However, you can root cuttings and start new plants as necessary.

Since your gardening season is short and beef steak tomatoes take a long time to grow from seed to maturity, I would vote for purchasing plants rather than starting from seed.

Hope you have a bountiful harvest!