The Q&A Archives: What to consider when planting Fruit Trees

Question: I am interested in planting a wide variety of fruit trees lemon, orange, apple, peach, etc...Suggestions? How many of each type should I plant? Should I Intermix them? Suggested spacing? Where can I find info on upkeep? Pesticides? How long before I can expect fruit? Best watering methods and how much? Any advise would be appreciated

Answer: Wow! You have more questions than I have room to answer in this forum so I'll direct you to a terrific website hosted by the University of California which addresses each and every one of your concerns, from tree selection to planting and after care. Visit the site at and toggle each of the categories on the left hand side of the page. You'll find tons of helpful information to get you started on your own backyard orchard. Best wishes with your project!