The Q&A Archives: What to do about moss growing in my vegetable garden

Question: I've had a vegetable garden for years...gets plenty of sun and water. It has a good deal of moss growing on top now. What should I do to get rid of it before planting time?

Answer: I wonder if the soil is on the acidic side and more than slightly compacted? Both of these can encourage moss growth. I would incorporate some organic matter prior to planting and simply rototill or dig everything in, moss and all. Simply spread 4-5 inches of compost, aged manure, shredded leaves or other readily available organic matter over the entire garden area and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. This will enrich your soil and loosen it for better growth of your vegetable plants. You might also want to have your soil tested. If the test results indicate a low pH, you may be directed to add some lime this fall. Lime will help mellow the soil but it takes several months to do its magic, which is why it is normally applied in the fall.

Best wishes with your garden!