The Q&A Archives: Bare Spots In The Backyard

Question: We have several large bare spots in our backyard. Last year, I re-seeded, aerated and fertilized my yard and still no success. Is there anything I can do to get a lush backyard we can enjoy this spring and summer?

Answer: It sounds as though you did everything right to restore the bare spots in your lawn so I wonder if there is something wrong with the soil. Dog urine can render soil sterile so if that's what caused the bare spots in the first place, dig the contaminated soil out, replace with other soil from your yard and then reseed. If dog urine is not the culprit you may only need to dig into the bare spots to loosen the soil, add some compost to keep it loose, then level and reseed. The new grass should be up within a week. Best wishes with your lawn!