The Q&A Archives: Wild Blueberry Bush

Question: I have a section of my yard that is part of the natural woods that once was before the development was built. In it are mostly Pin Oaks, Scrub Pines and Dogwoods. When we first moved in 20 years ago, there were many blueberry bushes with tiny fruits. Over the years they have been shaded out, but we recently trimmed a lot of trees and would like to replenish the blueberry bushes. I cannot find "wild" blueberry bushes anywhere. Most nurseries only carry "domestic" big fruit blueberries. Can you help? I would like to purchase about 20 bushes. I am also interested in naturalizing the area with ferns.

Answer: You can purchase native (wild) blueberries from Triple Brook Farm, 37 Middle Rd., Southampton, MA 01073; ph# 413-527-4626. Look under Vaccinium angustifolium laevifolium. They also sell a number of ferns and other plants native to the northeast.