The Q&A Archives: Palm trees

Question: I have an asorted amount of palms in my yard what is the best advice for care for them.

Answer: To grow a healthy palm tree you need to consider 5 Key Factors: Soil, size, temperature, sunlight, and water. Palm trees can reach a height of 50 feet or more so make sure you have enough room on your property for your palm tree.

Most of the palm trees like warm weather with a lot of sunlight. But some of the palm trees prefer shady conditions to full sun exposure so check to make sure yours are planted in the right exposure to the sun.

Providing your palm trees with a quality fertilizer is important, so it can maintain its good health. For palm trees, you will usually want to use a fertilizer that has nitrogen, phosphate, and potash. Find a fertilizer especially formulated for palms and feed in amounts and with the frequency as recommended on the label.

Watering is important and deep but infrequent watering will encourage deep root growth. Water by flooding the soil around the palm. Once a week should be sufficient; twice a week if the weather is hot and there hasn't been any rain.

Good luck with your landscape!