The Q&A Archives: spotted dead nettle

Question: I recently bought one of these plants and brought it into the house I'm pretty new at the gardening thing and have an infant that will be crawling soon. I was wondering if there was any special precautions that I needed to take or if the plant is poisonous? Thank you for your help Angela.

Answer: Spotted deadnettle, a member of the mint family, Lamiaceae, has leaves that are similar to stinging nettle without the toxic effect, hence its name, deadnettle. The plant parts are not poisonous but the roots may be. Neither are supposed to be consumed so if you keep the plant away from curious fingers, everything should be fine.

Spotted deadnettle is a perennial ground cover that brightens shady spots with its variegated green to silver leaves. In spring and summer it produces flowers. I've never grown it indoors but if you provide lots of bright light, it should grow and flower for you. Enjoy!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Coreopsis"