The Q&A Archives: where did my oleander blooms go?l

Question: Greetings Expert Green Thumb--

Last year we cut down our Oleander hedge to about half its height. It used to bloom prolifically, but once it got its drastic haircut, I rarely saw a bloom on i:(.

Can I help it become the blooming bush it once was?

Suzie T.

Answer: Your oleanders will eventually recover from their drastic hair cuts. Oleanders bloom on new wood which is produced on old wood. So anything that grew last year will be old wood for this year and anything growing now should produce flowers - but maybe later than usual because the plant is still recovering from drastic pruning. Your oleanders will perform better for you over the years if you prune them back on an annual basis. This way you won't have to take off quite so much and the shrubs won't be set back 2-3 years in its blooming process. Best wishes with your landscape!