The Q&A Archives: grass invading the garden

Question: We have a very invasive grass that just took over the garden last year. It isn't crabgrass, I don't think, but it's a lot like it. It has an unbelievable root system that just spreads and spreads. It grows so fast, it seems impossible to stay ahead of it. Is there anything I can do to prevent it before it starts this year?

Answer: One way to keep the grass from growing is to cover over the soil with a sheet of black plastic to keep sunlight from penetrating the soil and making the plant grow. Another is to paint individual sprigs of grass with a vegetation killer such as Round Up. A third option is to dig the plants out, roots and all. If you use a vegetation killer, be sure to keep it away from your plants. Good luck with your project!