The Q&A Archives: Holes In Leaves

Question: I found some holes in the leaves on my newly planted Japanese Weeping Cherry Tree. I did see ants crawling up and down the tree; could that be the problem or do I have another pest doing this?

Answer: It's not likely that the ants are chewing on the leaves. Weeping cherries have a number of pest problems throughout the year. Aphids seem to be attracted to them, caterpillars like munching the leaves, and in the late summer 'pear slugs' can skeletonize the leaves. Try inspecting your tree for aphids - the ants might be herding the aphids for their honeydew (sugary sweet excrement). If you discover aphids, direct a strong spray of water from the hose on both upper and lower sides of the leaves, plus the stems and branches, to dislodge the pests. Handpick any caterpillars you find, and wash off any black slug-like critters you find on the leaves later in the summer.