The Q&A Archives: Giant bird of paradise is dying

Question: I have a row of trees with 2 giant birds between 3 queen palms. They are all 6 years old. This year the GB of P have begun to turn yellow and tip over. No bugs apparent. Palms still thriving. Soil is moist, but drains. Thanks!

Answer: If the plants are collapsing, I suspect a root rot. Typically Giant Bird of Paradise will grow with disease problems, unless the soil retains too much water. In this case the roots can suffocate. When this happens the upper parts of the plant begin to turn yellow and then collapse. The only way you will know for sure is to dig down near the plant and inspect the roots. Root rot will be quite evident by the mushy appearance and an odor. Wish I had something more encouraging to offer!