The Q&A Archives: Caring for Tropicanan plants

Question: Hi, I planted 2 of the tropical tropicana plants last year in pots. They did really well, but then died at the end of season so I cut them down. They are starting to come up this year, but very slowly. Is it still early for them, and should I have cut them back, and do they do well in a pot? thanks!

Answer: I think it is a little early in the year to expect thick, lush growth. Tropicana cannas thrive in full sun and warm temperatures. They prefer heavy watering when they are in bloom, but not so much when they are not. So water when the top half inch of soil dries out but don't keep the soil too wet just yet. A little patience should pay off. They will adapt to growing in containers. Enjoy your beautiful plants!