The Q&A Archives: Should I plant these

Question: I have 4 palm trees I bought at the end of last summer and they've been in pots outside all winter and I'm getting ready to plant but noticed 3 of them have spots that look almost like rust on the leaves. Should I plant these or is this a kinda of disease/fungus? Treatable? Thanks

Answer: I can't tell without looking whether the spots are disease or insects so I can't recommend a treatment. I would plant them this spring and then cut off one of the affected leaves and take it into the nursery or your Cooperative Extension office for diagnosis (and control measures). It could be that the palms were in the wrong location or were stressed from being in containers all winter long and once you plant them they might not develop more spots on their leaves. Eventually the affected fronds will grow old and die and you can cut them off the palms. Good luck with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"