The Q&A Archives: Establishing a lawn...

Question: Hi.. bought home 3 years ago & for 40 years previous owners did nothing so top soil has eroded and ground is hard and clay-like. Yard is 60% shade, 40% sun. Planted Kentucky 31 and Rye, added lyme and fertilizer each year. Grass slowly growing but not well. What grass(es) should I grow? Should I seed different grass in shade and different in sun? I live in southern Virginia. Thank you.

Answer: Not many grasses will grow in shady areas so a mixture of tall fescue (most shade tolerant) and Kentucky bluegrass (sun and/or shade tolerant) along with some perennial Rye will perform best for you. You should be able to find a sun/shade grass seed mixture containing these 3 varieties. Best wishes with your lawn!