The Q&A Archives: Best & Easiest Fruits or Vegetables

Question: I live in mild, sunny Southern California and would like to start growing my own fruits and vegetables. What are some easy, hearty, fun to grow options for a beginner like me?

Answer: Southern California is, indeed, blessed with a special climate. In the fall and into winter, you can sow seeds of plenty of vegetables. That includes just about all leaf and root vegetables and the flowering vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli) as well as peas (that includes favabeans, which are more a pea than a bean). In the spring ou can plant most fruiting vegetables (tomatos, corn, etc.) which are summer heat lovers. Tree fruits, strawberries and blackberries/raspberries also do well in your climate. I'd start with the vegetable garden and then wander the aisles of your local garden center to see what fruit trees are available to plant right now.

Good luck with your new garden!