The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Alberta Spruce Insect & Mite Protection

Question: I have used Isotox and then Systemic Insect Killer for yers very successfully. I applied 4 application a week apart in early april. Neither product is available and I need a replacement. I am looking to be proactive and prevent the mites for the summer, what can I substitute.

Answer: Most of the chemicals in the systemics you mention are no longer available to homeowners and I cannot locate a suitable replacement for you. However, instead of treating with a systemic, why not simply hose the spruces off every few weeks during the summer months to dislodge and discourage the pests most common to spruces? I've used this method for years on my spruces and have never had a problem with mites or bagworms. I think it will work for you, too.