The Q&A Archives: I have a lawn that I started from scracth the is still very spotty

Question: Its the middle of March and I need a schedule to get the bare patches and weeds out of my lawn. I have sections that are very good and sections that have zero growth. I have tried adding soil to the bare spots and it has washed out. Weed and feed has been successful on the established areas. I need a schedule of what to do when. I need new growth and be able to protect what is already established.

Answer: The best weed control is a dense, healthy turf. Do all you can to develop a good, dense turf (regular mowing, deep infrequent watering and moderate fertilizing) and over a year or two you will eliminate the vast majority of weeds in your turf.

Feed your lawn in April and October to help it grow thick and lush, using a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK. Concern Weed Prevention Plus is a good product to use because it is corn gluten based. Apply according to label directions with the frequency recommended. As I said before, the best weed control is a dense, healthy turf.