The Q&A Archives: Asian Lilly

Question: My Asian Lilly has dropped it's blooms, and does not seem to be regenerating. It's on a kitchen table next to an eastern facing window. I keep it moist, and only fed it when transplanted from retail plastic to my clay pot. Any suggestions to help it bloom would be most appreciated.

Bob Giovannucci

Answer: Cut off the flowering stem now and keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. The plant needs a resting period so all of the leaves will eventually wither away. When they begin to yellow and die, withhold water and either unpot the bulb to store during its resting period, or plant it outdoors in a spot shaded from afternoon sun. When it has finished resting it will sprout new leaves. At that time water it regularly and it should grow and bloom for you. Enjoy!