The Q&A Archives: Planting Seeds Outdoors

Question: I started seeds indoors and they are doing great--and have all germinated. Once they are tall enough and the weather is warm enough, I'll be planting them outdoors in raised beds. I get a lot of wind here and wanted to know if there was something to put over the raised bed to protect the plants when they are small (b/c I am afraid they will blow over until more sturdy).

Answer: A temporary wind block is not a bad idea. You might want to get some Remay or other row cover and attach it to some stakes you've driven into the ground on the windward side of your garden. Just make a long but short wind block - don't tent it over the plants, but simply run it next to the plants. Once the plants are sturdy and growing well, remove the wind barrier and your plants should be just fine. Enjoy!