The Q&A Archives: Planting peony roots

Question: I just bought 2 peony roots. I would like them to bloom this year if says they bloom late spring. We are in March now and I am on Cape Cod (MA). Should I start these indoors? How and when? Or should I plant outdoors. When? Am I too late for them to bloom this year?

Answer: Peonies are generally planted in the fall, when they're dormant. They dislike begin disturbed and may refuse to bloom if you transplant at other times. However, since yours is probably still dormant, go ahead and plant it now. It Here are some general guidelines: Peonies should be planted in deep, rich, moist soil. Dig a hole at least 1 1/2 feet deep (roots go this far down!) and amend the soil with lots of organic matter to help loosen the soil and to retain moisture. Then backfill, planting the dormant root clump so that the eyes are no deeper than about 2 inches under the surface of the soil. If you plant deeper, the buds will die before the sprouts reach the sunlight in the spring. They should grow and bloom for you this year. Enjoy!