The Q&A Archives: hibiscus tree

Question: The leaves on my hibiscus tree are yellowing.The buds seem powdery I spray the tree with soap and water. What is causing the yellowing?

Answer: Hibiscus is an evergreen and as such will lose leaves throughout the growing season. These leaves turn yellow and fall off but new leaves emerge almost immediately. Unless you have an insect infestation, it isn't necessary to spray with soap and water. In fact, homemade soap solutions can contain too many fatty acids which will cling to the foliage and effectively suffocate them. If your hibiscus has pest problems, use a commercially prepared Insecticidal Soap and spray with the frequency as recommended on the label. I think you will see a big improvement in the appearance of your hibiscus.