The Q&A Archives: Hebe plant care

Question: I planted 5 hebes in a sunny location in my garden in September 2008. We live in Gig Harbor, WA. I thought they were perennials that would stay green all year round and now they are all brown, the leaves have all dropped off and they are just twigs. There is no green on any of them and no new spring growth. Is this normal? Can they be saved? Should I cut them back? Help.

Answer: Hebe, or evergreen veronica, should remain green all year. However, this past winter has been one for the records with the extended freezing or near freezing weather and the nearly 2' of snow most of us experienced. I would cut away the brown parts and hope the roots remained alive over the winter months. If not, you may need to replace them.