The Q&A Archives: Jicama

Question: I would like to grow Jicama. I am in Zone 11, and it is a tropical vegetable. Will it grow here, and how can I get seeds?

Answer: Jicama (Pachyrhizus erosus) will grow in all zones of Florida. The plant is grown for its edible root, which looks like a brown turnip and tastes something like a water chestnut. Give full sunshine and don't allow the soil to dry out during the growing season. Jicama puts out twining or scrambling vines and will need to be staked. Sow seeds 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep, 6 to 12 inches apart. Feed once or twice in early and mid-summer. The roots or tubers will form as the days begin to grow shorter in the autumn. Harvest before the first frost. If you cannot find seeds in your local nursery or garden center, you can purchase them online: